Rear End Car Crashes 101

DC Rear End Car Crashes 101Unfortunately, rear end car crashes are some of the most common reasons for vehicle crashes across the District of Columbia. Being involved in a rear end crash can be unnerving in a best case scenario and catastrophic in a worst case scenario.

Rear end crashes happen every day all over the country. They can happen in both urban settings and rural areas but due to the congested traffic of the Washington DC area, the busy roads of the nation’s capital may be prime real estate for severe rear end collisions. If you’ve been involved in a rear end collision, you’re not alone.

According to research from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, up to 40% of all car crashes are rear end collisions. This means that all other kinds of accidents including side swipes, roll overs, T-bones, single car crashes and head on collisions make up the remaining 60% of all vehicle crashes. With numbers like this there’s a good chance that you may be involved in a rear end crash at some point while living in or near the DC area.

Top 10 Best And Worst Driving CitiesContributing Factors for Rear End Vehicle Collisions

Drivers who are not paying attention may be a leading cause of rear end crashes but it is certainly not the only reason that you might find yourself on the side of one of the busy roads of DC.

Some of the most common contributing factors for rear end vehicle crashes include:

  • Speeding
  • Hazardous weather conditions
  • Tailgating
  • Driver distractions
  • DUI or other impairments

If you have recently been involved in a rear end collision you need to get medical attention as soon as possible and consult with a DC car accident attorney.

Common Injuries

The type of injuries that you sustain in a rear end collision in the district of Columbia may depend on the speed at which both drivers were travelling. However, you need to be fully evaluated by a medical professional to understand the possible short term and long term implications of your injuries.

Some more severe injuries may last for many years and this may entitle you to file a DC personal injury claim. These include:

  • Head, back and neck sprains, and other injuries
  • Broken bones
  • Fractures
  • Burns
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Whiplash

Three decades ago the Reagan administration first mandated that all new cars be outfitted with brake with third brake lights also known as high mounted brake lamps.

The main purpose of the avoidance features that have evolved since then such as automated braking and forward collision in cars minimize the number of rear end collisions.

Despite the fact that the third brake lights were intended to help reduce the number of accidents on roadways, the modern data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration indicates that this is a trend that has continued or become even worse since then.

Also Read: 10 Steps to Take after a Car Accident

What to Do If You’ve Been Involved in a Rear End Collision

If you have been involved in a rear end collision anywhere throughout the district of Columbia, there are several important steps you should take, including:

  • Collecting evidence from the scene of the accident and taking pictures.
  • Filing a police report.
  • Getting contact details for the other party and his or her insurance company.
  • Getting medical attention even if you don’t believe that you have been critically injured.
  • Speaking with an experienced Washington DC car accident attorney.

Getting help from a lawyer today may be the first step towards recovering compensation. You may have a right to compensation if someone else’s negligent behavior contributed to your injuries.

Contact An Expert Washington DC Car Accident Lawyer Today

If someone you love was killed in a rear-end collision, as a family member you might also be entitled to a wrongful death claim.

Given that these cases can become complicated very quickly and may involve claims against several different parties. Trying to represent yourself or hiring a lawyer without extensive experience in car accidents may be a big mistake.

Failing to file a claim at all may bar you from ever being able to move forward with a claim, either. Make sure you protect your rights by talking with a lawyer.

Learn more about some of the most common car accident injury types:
http://fitzlawoffice.com/car-accident-injuries-can-extend-what-result-of-the-collision/